Action planned for cyclists and walkers (16-06-2004)
A package of new measures to increase levels of cycling and walking was announced today by Transport Minister Kim Howells.
The measures form part of ‘Walking & Cycling: an Action Plan’, which aims to promote these modes as healthy and convenient ways to travel.
The measures include:
- a programme of new links to extend the National Cycle Network to hundreds of schools;
- an investment of more than £500,000 to upgrade cycle provision at 200 rail stations;
- improved promotion of walking and cycling both locally and nationally, including a new web portal for those seeking information on where, how and why to cycle;
- better training in child pedestrian and cycling skills, including a new National Standard for Child Cycle Training;
- improved training for local authority transport staff in providing for, and promoting, walking and cycling.
- an amendment to the Traffic Management Bill, to make cycling safer in towns and cities